After my recent diagnosis with hemangiosarcoma I published a list of 20 things I hoped to complete before my time on Earth was through. Little did I know I had far less time that anticipated. Lucky for me I had a family who loved me enough to help me complete a many as possible.
- I was able to enjoy my first McDonald’s cheeseburger. There is no picture of this moment because apparently it is possible for a dog to devour a cheeseburger without even chewing. I was pretty sure they gave it to me by accident and wasn’t giving them a chance to reconsider their offering.
- Eat a steak…oh boy, did I! In fact, I ate two. My dad grilled me a rib-eye and a sirloin to perfection on the chilly morning of April 9th. Mom was barely able to get any pictures….apparently I can also devour a steak ridiculously fast.
- While mom didn’t have time to line up a professional photographer, she was able to buy a professional camera; I was the star of the photo shoot for two days!
- Did you guys know Brookings has a dog park?! Wish fulfilled. I was a bit too tired to run around much, but I did lie there and smell all the smells. It was wonderful!
- Luckily I have met a few donkey’s in my life – wish completed! Mom is working on rounding up a picture of one of my past encounters…likely from Customer State Park.
- My legs hurt a bit too much for my parents to help me make a paw print stepping stone. Luckily my veterinarian is helping me get one to them to remember me always.
- I expect my last trip to the Black
Hills to be the weekend of April 29th. It is the place I was happiest and most at peace; I know it will bring my parents comfort to know I will be at peace forever this way.
- I feel accomplished. I didn’t have enough time to do all the things I wanted, but I did have enough time to cuddle, snuggle, love and make new memories. These last few weeks went fast. Too fast. But I have never felt so loved.
Don’t Grieve Too Long
Don’t grieve too long, for now I’m free.
I’ve followed the path God has set for me.
I ran to Him when I heard His Call.
I swished my tail and left it all.
I could not stay another day,
To bark, to love, to romp or play.
Games left unplanned must stay that way.
I found such peace, it made my day.
My parting has left you with a void.
Please fill it with remembered joy,
A friendship shared, your laugh, a kiss.
Oh yes, these things I too shall miss.
Be not burdened with times of sorrow.
I wish you the sunshine of tomorrow.
My life has been full, you’ve given so much,
Your time, your love and gentle touch.
Perhaps my time seemed all too brief.
Don’t lengthen it now with undue grief.
Lift up your head and share with me,
God wanted me, He set me free!